A few things that give me pause this month are roadsides blanketed in wildflowers, the lush, green, new leaves on trees, hearing the bird melodies on my morning walk, watching butterflies dancing in the wind and crystal blue skies! Each of us has the power to shape our world…
Commend yourself on the things you are already doing to preserve the planet. Think about how you can influence a friend or family member to join you in one of your practices.
- Skip the straw: 500 million straws are used daily in America just one time and discarded. If you must use a straw –consider a reusable one in glass, bamboo or stainless steel!
- Bring your own reusable container for takeout leftovers. Take-out packaging is a major source of our roadside litter.
- Take plastic bags and other plastic wrap and film to your local grocery store for recycling.
- Reuse glass containers for storage. Recycling is good, but reusing is better.
- Stop idling in the drive-thru lane. Turn off your car, or better yet, park and walk in.
- Wash clothes in cold water.
- Purchase and plant a few native nectar plants for pollinators.
- Eat local and seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Try meatless Monday.
- Or anything else that helps the planet and makes you happier –your choice!
Take the Action Pledge at Earth Day at Concert in the Park on Sunday, April 23, 2017, and receive a Don’t Mess with Texas shirt while supplies last!