It’s a great time to check your home for leaky faucets, showerheads, hose ends, and other pesky places that leaks hide out. Here are some easy ways to check for leaks:
Check your water meter:
- Turn off everything that uses water in your home.
- Read your water meter.
- Wait 15 minutes, and then read the meter again. Did the numbers change? If so, you have a leak somewhere.
- Check that the faucet on the outside of the house is not dripping.
- Look under sinks in all bathrooms and the kitchen.
- Do you have a sprinkler system? You may have an underground leak.
If you want help to fix leaks yourself, contact the Environmental Services Department (281-210-3800 or email us) and ask how you can receive a FREE copy of the Practical Plumbing Handbook. It’s full of helpful tips and great illustrations on making repairs and installing water saving devices in your home.