Attention outdoor enthusiasts, nature lovers and wildlife champions! Don’t miss the chance to participate in a community-wide, virtual event that brings you closer to the outdoors right in your own backyard.
The Township is hosting a week-long “bioblitz” – a community effort to identify as many species as possible during National Pollinator Week. This effort provides an informal, fun opportunity for the public to learn together and share their enthusiasm for nature. And the information collected contributes to a genuine scientific survey. Anyone can participate regardless of age or knowledge level.
This community-wide, virtual event coincides with National Pollinator Week, June 22-28, 2020. Created by Pollinator.org, this world-wide celebration is also a call to action to save the bees, birds, butterflies, bats, beetles and other pollinators who need our help.
The Woodlands Township is celebrating National Pollinator Week by hosting a week-long BioBlitz. Participants are encouraged to seek out pollinators, in particular,when making observations. iNaturalist will automatically identify and track your observations and share the data with scientific organizations. Now you are participating in a world-wide citizen-science effort to help populations in need, like pollinators.
How to participate
- Download the iNaturalist app onto your phone, tablet or computer.
- Before the Bioblitz officially begins, familiarize yourself with the app.
- Watch a short, simple tutorial at iNaturalist.org.
- Head outside with your phone and photograph the insects, critters and plants you encounter.
- Upload the photos to iNaturalist via the app or website. iNaturalist will help identify your picture. Just click ‘What did you see?’ on your phone, or the ‘Species name’ section under the photo you shared.
To join The Woodlands Bioblitz, log into your iNaturalist account
- Select ‘Projects’ in the top left corner.
- Use the ‘Search’ magnifying glass in the top right corner. Type ‘The Woodlands Township BioBlitz June 2020’.
- Select ‘Join’.
- Select ‘Community’ at the top of the page.
- Use the drop-down menu and select ‘Projects’.
- Use the search bar, located below the featured project. Type in ‘The Woodlands Township BioBlitz June 2020’.
- Click on the event to be directed to the project page.
- Select ‘Join’ in the upper right corner.
Observations made during National Pollinator Week will be tallied at the end of the week. Results will be shared with our community. You can make as many or as few observations as you like and from any area you wish – backyard, park or forest. However much you participate, you will find that you learn something new, contribute to important scientific efforts including pollinator conservation, and have fun being outdoors. Sign up today!