Participate in The Woodlands Township community-wide litter cleanup event, Earth Day GreenUp on Saturday, March 23, 2019!
This event is fun for the whole family and an excellent opportunity for team building, meeting neighbors and enjoying the outdoors. Join us in targeting litter on pathways, along waterways, and in greenbelts to keep our community looking clean and green!
Help GreenUp Your Community in 5 Simple Steps
- Check-in at a designated park near you.
- Receive trash bags, gloves, and instructions.
- Cleanup litter along a nearby pathway, park or natural area.
- Drop off full bags of litter along the pickup route (a map will be provided at check-in).
- Head to Northshore Park for the GreenUp Celebration 11 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Join us for live music by the Buck Yeager band, entertainment by Mr. Cirque the Acrobat and games for the whole family. As honored guests, Clean-up Participants receive free pizza, drinks, and 2019 GreenUp T-shirt. Everyone is welcome to share in the Celebration – pizza and drinks are also available for purchase.
Pre-register by Monday, March 11th for a speedy check-in and to ensure equipment for your group. Walk up registration is welcome between 8 and 10 at one of these parks.
Be prepared for cleanup by wearing appropriate clothing – long pants and closed-toe shoes/boots. Remember hats, sunscreen, mosquito repellent and a reusable water bottle – we will have a refilling station at the celebration!
Thank you to our sponsors: Keep Texas Beautiful, Waste Management, Berkeley Services, HEB, The Woodlands Joint Powers Agency (WJPA), Nature’s Way Resources, The Howard Hughes Corporation, The Woodlands G.R.E.E.N. and Papa John’s!
The Woodlands Earth Day GreenUp is coordinated by The Woodlands Township Environmental Services Department. For more information, call 281-210-3800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer is sizzling and has some of us grabbing our gear for a weekend beach trip! Many feel a natural connection to the ocean as it covers 70% of our planet, houses fascinating marine life, and connects us all.
June 8th is World Ocean Day reminding us to celebrate the many wonders of our aquatic frontier.
This year’s focus is a call to action on plastic pollution. You may have seen the unsettling images of sea life fatalities; our plastics are reaching new shores that have never seen pollution before. Now is the time to address the issue before we create a world of plastic beaches.
Plastics are synthetic organic polymers created with petroleum. They are so long lasting that all the plastic that has ever been created still exists today, yet industries create more every day. Most marine plastics originate on land as litter. Once they enter our waters, plastics entangle marine life or erode into smaller particles that are then ingested. Every piece of litter we pick up on land helps the ocean and the life within.
“You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today“
Let’s answer the call to action for our oceans!
Here’s how we can start making a difference:
- Coordinate your own cleanup
- Bring a bucket for treasures and a bucket for trash – recycle what you can
- Leave no trace – leave only footprints behind
- Support an organization
- There are many groups forming their own cleanups. Become involved or consider making a donation.
- Not able to make it to the shoreline? There’s plenty you can do at home:
- Reduce packaging when grocery shopping
- Reuse as much as you can – bring your own bags or bottles
- Recycle right – stay up to date on your local municipality’s recycling guidelines
- Refuse single use plastics such as straws, bags and cutlery
Blog Post By Zoe Killian, Environmental Education Specialist
Do you ever feel like a plastic bag drifting in the wind… is a real eye sore? Well, school’s out and now is the time to lookout for litter!
Encourage our young citizens to take action against litter by joining The Woodlands Township for our 4th annual summer litter scavenger hunt— Lookout for Litter. In addition to free fun in the sun and keeping our community beautiful, everyone who completes a log will earn a t-shirt and a free ice cream cone. It’s easy! Go to the Look Out for Litter page to register and to print a litter log and share this poster with your friends.
What litter do you see regularly? Can you think of a solution for this specific litter? By recording the different trash you find, you’ll be able to observe patterns and explore solutions to stop litter at the source.
At one school, 5th graders picked up 1,247 pieces of litter on their campus. They identified plastic straw wrappers as the most common type of litter.
So the school stopped buying straws!
These 5th Graders were inspired to fight litter with technology through Litterati. Become a citizen scientist – add the Litterati app to your phone and help us map litter in our community while contributing to a global database.
For information on how to register and to print a litter log, please visit The Woodlands Township Look Out for Litter page, or call 281-210-3927.
[Blog Post by Zoe Killian, email@example.com]
Pre-registration is open for Earth Day GreenUp – March 24th, 2018!
Join The Woodlands Township in a community-wide litter cleanup event, the annual Keep America Beautiful Great American Cleanup.
Together, we can target litter on pathways, along waterways, and in greenbelts to keep our community looking clean and green! This community-wide cleanup is an excellent opportunity for team building, meeting neighbors and enjoying the outdoors.
Before the Event
- Pre-register online for your check-in location of choice. **Everyone in your group MUST sign a waiver (included in online pre-registration or onsite at check-in).
- Be prepared for cleanup by wearing appropriate clothing – long pants and closed-toe shoes/boots. Remember hats, sunscreen, mosquito repellent and a reusable water bottle – we will have a refilling station at the celebration!
Clean Up Day
- Check-in at a designated park near you.
- Receive gloves, bags and instructions.
- Cleanup litter on your assigned pathway.
- Drop off bags of litter along pickup route.
- Join us at Northshore Park to drop off your supplies and get your free pizza, a t-shirt and enjoy entertainment!
The post-pickup party at Northshore Park will be from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Join us for food, live music by the Buck Yeager band, entertainment by Mr. Cirque the Acrobat and games. Volunteers who participated in the cleanup will be honored guests, receiving free pizza and drinks along with the 2018 event T-shirt. The general public may purchase pizza and drinks.
The Woodlands Earth Day GreenUp is coordinated by The Woodlands Township Environmental Services Department. For more information, call 281-210-3800.
Thank you to our sponsors: Waste Management, Berkeley Services, HEB, The Woodlands Joint Powers Agency (WJPA), Nature’s Way Resources, The Howard Hughes Corporation | The Woodlands Development Company, The Woodlands G.R.E.E.N. and Papa John’s!