There will be no interruption in curbside trash and recycling services during the Christmas and New Year holidays. All services will occur on their regularly scheduled day including yard trimmings and bulky trash pick-up.
The Woodlands Recycling Center at 5402 Research Forest Drive will be closed on Saturday, December 25 and Saturday, January 1. It will be open on Wednesday, December 22 and Wednesday, January 5 from 4 to 7 p.m.
Waste Management has discontinued courtesy collection of extra holiday boxes and wrapping paper the week after the holiday. Extra boxes left outside of the cart will not be picked up unless items are bagged and affixed with an extra trash “pink tag”. See Extra Trash guidelines below. PLEASE NOTE, recycling that is bagged and pink-tagged will be considered trash and landfilled, not recycled. Residents can recycle extra boxes at The Woodlands Recycling Center or by requesting bulk cardboard pickup from Waste Management, 800-800-5804.
To report a missed pickup or schedule bulky trash pickup, please contact Waste Management Customer Service at 800-800-5804 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Extra Trash Bags
- Extra bags of trash can be placed on the curb next to your cart.
- Each bag must be affixed with a pink extra service tag.
- Purchase tags for $1.75 each from The Woodlands Township offices, Kroger (Cochran’s Crossing, Alden Bridge and Sterling Ridge)
- Each bag may weigh no more than 40 pounds.
For trouble-free service this holiday season, please keep streets clear of parked cars to allow trucks to safely access carts, place carts at the curb by 7 a.m. and ensure cart lids close completely.
Christmas Tree Guidelines
Cut Christmas Tree Recycling – Unflocked Trees Only
- Remove tree stand, all decorations and lights.
- Place the tree at the curb on your regular service day for collection by the yard trimmings truck.
- Trees free of decorations may also be deposited at the Recreation Center at Rob Fleming Park, 6464 Creekside Forest Dr and Research Forest Park & Ride, 3900 Marsico Pl. These trees will be chipped and used for flooring at Texas TreeVentures.
Flocked Christmas Tree Disposal
- Schedule for bulk pickup by calling Waste Management at 800-800-5804.
- Call at least two working days before your regular service day.
- Flocked Christmas trees must be landfilled.
Quick Tips for a Greener Holiday
Greetings cards and packages fill our homes and warm our hearts during the holidays. Consider these tips for a greener Christmas and reduce the amount of holiday tidings that end up in the landfill.
- Recycle plain wrapping paper and flattened cardboard boxes in your curbside cart. Check out these Recycling Tips for the Online Shopper for help deciphering which items can be recycled and which cannot.
- Give a second life to your clean, gently-used clothing, housewares, toys, furniture and appliances by donating to local charitable organizations. Items should be in good, usable condition. Check out The Woodlands Donation Guide for a list of local organizations accepting donation. Many organizations will pick up your items. If you have an item that is not specified in the guide, call first to assure it is accepted.
- Find new recycling opportunities for items that cannot be recycled in your curbside cart. Items such as used electronics, batteries, Styrofoam, light bulbs, eyeglasses, mattresses and more can all be recycled locally at participating locations. Check out the Recycle More Guide for a complete list of locations and phone numbers.
If wrapping paper is metallic, has glitter on it, or has a texture to it, it is not recyclable. Gift wrap mistakenly put in the recycling cart harms the value of other collected paper at the recycling center. Check this Eco-Friendly Gift Wrap Guide for sustainable wrapping tips.