On my daily walk, I often muse…if everyone would pick up just one piece of litter each day, our community would be a cleaner, greener place. In the spirit of developing this habit in our youngest citizens (15 and under)–Join the Township for our 3rd annual litter scavenger hunt— Look Out for Litter Easy as 1-2-3. Besides being a fun project and contributing to our community, everyone who completes a log will earn a gift certificate for a summer treat!
Did You Know? Eighty percent of litter found in our oceans traveled from land via creeks, bayous and rivers! Seemingly insignificant, micro-litter and cigarette butts become a big problem when they are concentrated in our waterways.
Participate in a Scavenger Hunt!
A summer scavenger hunt – Look Out for Litter – is a fun, outdoor family activity for kids 15 and under.
- Simply pledge to pick-up 3 pieces of litter per day any 3 weeks between June 15 and August 15.
- Complete a daily log of the items.
- Submit the log to Environmental Service to receive a t-shirt (while supplies last) and be entered into a drawing for additional prizes!
To register or print a litter log, visit The Woodlands Township website or call 281-210-3927.
Join the Cigarette Butt Brigade!
- Fill plastic bags with cigarette butts you find in the community.
- Bring your bags to Environmental Services Office (8203 Millennium Forest Drive) to receive a free t-shirt (while supplies last) and be entered into a drawing for additional prizes!
- The Township has an ongoing partnership with Terracycle, who recycles and composts the cigarette butts. See how cigarette butts are being recycled into park benches or to make better, cleaner bricks.
Become a Citizen Scientist!
Help us map litter in our community while contributing to a global database. Get inspired and download the app for your phone at www.litterati.org.
For the Younger Set!
Don’t let a rainy day stop you! Explore the Litter Force from the Texas Department of Transportation.